It's a dark rainy afternoon in the gardens and between showers I decided to go out and check the progress of fall colors on my most recent plant interest... that being the acers, particularly the japanese maples. Actually that isn't quite accurate... I've had the interest for a very long time, but only got up the nerve to spend money on them over the course of the last couple years. For those of you living where japanese maples thrive, you may find this post laughable... there is however a real climatic challenge here and there are no guarantees of long term success. So far most are doing very well although I have lost a few. Unfortunately I've yet to experience fall color on the majority of them as we had a strange fall last season and they never got an opportunity to turn colors.
I looked up the varieties I have on the internet to find out how they are likely to color and this is what I came up with...
Sieryu… strong gold to light yellows with a suffusion of of crimson in most leaves
Sherwood Flame… flaming red
Trompenburg… crimson
Osakazuki… intense red similar to a burning bush color
Tobiosho… red
Tamukeyama… bright scarlet
Bloodgood… bright crimson
Sango kaki… golden yellow
Emperor I… dark crimson
Select Red… fiery red
Ukigumo... apricot to fiery red
Ukigumo... apricot to fiery red
Griseum… bright orange and red
Pseudosieboldiana... yellow touched with rich reds
Now, photos of several cultivars showing the change to date. Many of the green ones are passing into the bronzy purple brown phase that apparently precedes the really exciting color changes... so here goes...
Bloodgood... definitely getting lighter and more crimson...
Emperor I... little change from its summer color... (by the way... since this is purported to be one of the more dependable choices for the colder parts of the country, I added four more plants yesterday that will serve as a backdrop for a new conifer garden that's being planned for the future.)
Sherwood Flame... lightening a bit but not particularly red yet...
Seiryu... foliage is definitely darkening to bronze green tones as it prepares for the big color changes...
Tamukeyama... definitely turning lighter and more crimson...
Osakazuki... I expect that we will see reds here any day as we are starting to get past the bronzy stage...
My Red-Select has already dropped it's leaves and I couldn't get a decent photo of Ukigumo...
Acer griseum (paperbark maples) are starting to make some nice color changes... I have four of these and the progress varies from one to the other...
In closing, Acer pseusieboldiana (korean maple) dropped its foliage some time ago... but here is a reminder of just how spectacular it was this year!
I am very excited for the colors that these acers are preparing to display... provided we don't get a really hard freeze, it should be a lovely show. Larry
Now, photos of several cultivars showing the change to date. Many of the green ones are passing into the bronzy purple brown phase that apparently precedes the really exciting color changes... so here goes...
Bloodgood... definitely getting lighter and more crimson...
Emperor I... little change from its summer color... (by the way... since this is purported to be one of the more dependable choices for the colder parts of the country, I added four more plants yesterday that will serve as a backdrop for a new conifer garden that's being planned for the future.)
Trompenburg... This dark purplish plant is actually getting more orange than crimson at this stage
Sango kaku (coral bark)... a recent addition that continues to hold it's golden fall color for a long period of time... getting a few red highlights...
Seiryu... foliage is definitely darkening to bronze green tones as it prepares for the big color changes...
Tamukeyama... definitely turning lighter and more crimson...
Osakazuki... I expect that we will see reds here any day as we are starting to get past the bronzy stage...
Tobiosho... same thing with the bronze stage... almost lost this plant last year and had to cut it back to an 18" stick... I'm amazed at the recovery it's made...
Acer griseum (paperbark maples) are starting to make some nice color changes... I have four of these and the progress varies from one to the other...
In closing, Acer pseusieboldiana (korean maple) dropped its foliage some time ago... but here is a reminder of just how spectacular it was this year!
I am very excited for the colors that these acers are preparing to display... provided we don't get a really hard freeze, it should be a lovely show. Larry
















0 nhận xét:
Đăng nhận xét