I awakened this morning a bit later than usual. I sleep next to an eight foot patio door so I get to watch the stars at night and sunrise colors from the north-east much of the summer. There was a rosy tinge to the sky and I decided to get out my tripod and see what I could capture of the trees that still have foliage changing. Just outside my bedroom patio door is a deck and beyond that the acer griseum, though not fully colored up, was shimmering in the early chill. To the right of the paperbark maple is a japanese maple and three more acer griseums heading down the hill.
In the opposite direction is the arbor and on the right is a Butterflies magnolia on which many of the leaves have turned a golden yellow. The sun lightened the tops of the large Norway spruces, creating an interesting effect.
Beyond The Norways, the Mary Potter crab apple is more colorful than ever...
I really like the way Magnolia kobus 'White Rose' colors up in the fall... especialy in it's position with a nice blue spruce background...
Next to the Butterflies magnolia is a Taxodium distichum which is always an interesting color prior to shedding its foliage in the fall...
The October Glory Ginko colored nicely this year and is now shedding its foliage. The Saratoga Ginko on the other hand is shedding its foliage while it's still green, and the Princeton Sentry hasn't done a thing, color-wise or shedding -wise...
The birch walk is still sporting a few leaves and considering all the pruning we've done there, doesn't look too severely decapitated...
With all the falling leaves and interesting tonalities, the fall gardens are truly amazing... as much as I would like to have everything cleaned up for the winter, this 'laissez faire' approach really has its rewards.
There are three magnolias in the following picture... it's interesting to note the difference in their fall schedules.
The closest on the left in 'Toro' and barely beginning its change, beyond that is 'Red Baron', ready to drop, an the soulangiana selection at the end of the row has been without foliage for some time...
More magnolia color and a canoe birch...
I'll close with some more of this busy first dawn of November palette... I actually didn't go much farther since I was in my bathrobe and decided against entertaining the general public on their way to work... besides, it was 35 degrees and I was getting chilled! Take care, Larry
















0 nhận xét:
Đăng nhận xét